MKVToolNix is a small collection of tools (mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit and mmg) that allows you to manipulate Matroska (MKV) files in several ways. You can use MKVToolNix to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect Matroska files. The program will also work with other video formats (AVI, MPEG, MP4, MPEG, Ogg/OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1/2, h264/AVC, Dirac, VC1) including some video codecs (such as VP9 video codec support – reading from IVF/Matroska/WebM files, extract to IVF files). Audio formats (AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, (E)AC3, DTS/DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio) and also most subtitle formats (SRT, PGS/SUP, VobSub, ASS, SSA, etc.). MKVToolNix is a cross-platform application that will work on Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Mac OS X and Linux.
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI multiplexer: AC-3, DTS, TrueHD: added an option for
removing/minimizing the dialog normalization gain for all supported types of
the mentioned codecs.
- mkvmerge: AV1: added support for reading AV1 video from IVF, WebM and
- mkvmerge: FLAC: mkvmerge can now ignore ID3 tags in FLAC files which would
otherwise prevent mkvmerge from detecting the file type.
- mkvinfo: the size and positions of frames within “SimpleBlock” and
“BlockGroup” elements are now shown the same way they’re shown for other
elements (by adding the
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added options for deriving the track languages
from the file name by searching for ISO 639-1/639-2 language codes or
language names enclosed in non-word, non-space characters (e.g. “…[ger]…”
for German or “…+en+…” for English).
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: implemented reading all elements in the file
after the first cluster. Only top-level elements are shown; child elements
are only loaded on demand.
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: added a context menu with the option to show a
hex dump of the element with the bytes making up the EBML ID and the size
portion highlighted in different colors. In-depth highlighting is done for
the data in
- MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: added an option to remove all end timestamps
to the “additional modifications” dialog.
Download: MKVToolNix macOS 48.0.0